Date:Tuesday July 20 2010
Jonathan Fear from Vital Aston Villa recently posted an anonymous survey on fans' views towards gay football players.
See previous article and comments: Click Here
This is in response to the Premier League dropping a campaign on this issue and Max Clifford claiming that 'football is steeped in homophobia'. We want to assess how fans feel about this. The response to phase 1 has been terrific (over 2000 replies in 3 weeks!). Here are some of the main findings from phase 1:
· 93% Of fans think there is no place for homophobia in football
· 7% think that football is no place for gays
· 60% Want gay players to 'be brave' and come out
· 40% Don't want gay players to come out, most think it's a strictly private matter
· 90%+ Think the only thing that matters in football is how the player plays... not his sexual preferences
· 80%+ Think Max Clifford, who said football is stuck in the 'dark ages' is part of the problem not the solution
· 60%+ Disagree with Gordon Taylor's 'cowardly' decision not to support an anti-homophobia campaign.
· Fans believe gay players choose not to come out to protect their commercial value, not because they fear the reaction of fans or teammates.
* Many fans see parallels between black players in the 1970s/80s and gay players today DISCUSS
In fact, Gordon Taylor, the chief of the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), has replied to the interim results of the topfan online survey of fans' views on homophobia and gay players and we are happy to set the facts straight. Mr Taylor writes...'Never at any time have I withdrawn support for an anti homophobia campaign and in fact quite the opposite.' As an organization, the PFA states: 'We welcome the opportunity to lead the field in this area, as we have done with racism...we do not have any members of the PFA who have openly declared they are gay. If a player approached us regarding this matter there are support mechanisms in place to ensure the player has the full support of the Association.'
Check www.topfan.co.uk for the full statement, latest results and make your contribution to Phase 2 of the project.
I hope you can still see its worth, especially now we have engaged with Gordon Taylor and the PFA. Please log on and give us your thoughts via the poll (less than 2 mins) www.topfan.co.uk
Date:Tuesday July 20 2010
The Ped Report City 2-3 Norwich City (Monday May 20 2013)
Stats: Manchester City v Norwich City (Sunday May 19 2013)
The Citizens versus The Canaries (Saturday May 18 2013)
Balotelli: I'm Glad I Left England (Saturday May 18 2013)
VIDEO: Confusion Clouds Pellegrini Future (Thursday May 16 2013)
The Ped Report Reading 0-2 City (Tuesday May 14 2013)
Stats: Reading v Manchester City (Tuesday May 14 2013)
And On That Bombshell (Tuesday May 14 2013)
VIDEO: Pellegrini Denies City Deal (Tuesday May 14 2013)
The Royals versus The Citizens (Tuesday May 14 2013)
|5.||Colin Is The King||207|
|Man City||2||-||1||West Ham|
|1. Man Utd||38||28||5||5||+43||89|
|2. Man City||38||23||9||6||+32||78|
|Fringe Players Exodus Led By Richard Dunne?
» Aston Villa : 21/05/2013 11:27:00
|Klinsmann takes a dive
» Everton : 21/05/2013 10:44:00
|Who Is Your Vital Arsenal Player of the Season?
» Arsenal : 21/05/2013 10:24:00
|The Abuse Of NUFC Has To End. Now!!
» Newcastle : 21/05/2013 10:01:00
|Hunt thanks fans following departure
» Reading : 21/05/2013 10:00:00
|Damned if we do
» Spurs : 21/05/2013 09:29:00
|Silly season is here!!
» Spurs : 21/05/2013 08:56:00