Manchester City Forum - Soccermatics - Mathematical Adventures in the Beautiful Game
Vital Football

Latest Manchester City News

Welcome to the Man City Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest.
- (Added by: Tudor)
Current Poll (see more polls)
How many goals, if any will City score against Feyenoord?
Suggested By: Tudor
Five or more28%
Four27%
Three0%
Two27%
One0%
City won't score18%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Buzz Lightyear440
2.Johnny Baguette216
3.Skoorb189
4.Rising171
5.Colin Is The King125
6.johnkelv96
7.Bluedub91
8.BamaEngineer73
9.kennyclementstache43
10.OziMan41
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Soccermatics - Mathematical Adventures in the Beautiful Game
18 August 2016 11:15 Post ID: #579572
I stumbled across this book whilst on one of my customary wanderings through a Waterstones bookshop (please note - other bookshops are available) and have found it a thoroughly interesting and thought provoking read.

The author, David Sumpter, is a professor of applied mathematics at the University of Uppsala, Sweden. Born in London but raised in Scotland he has applied mathematics to many fields especially social behaviour. As a part time football coach of under-tens in Sweden, a Liverpool fan and with a soft spot for Dunfermline Athletic he has turned his attention to football - the most mathematical of sports.

From shots on target to league tables and possession stats, football is awash with numbers and patterns. Sumpter brings together mathematics and football to produce a fascinating insight into the game & one which I have found very easy and enjoyable to read.

From looking at how the Barcelona midfield is linked geometrically to the similarity between an ant colony and Dutch Total Football to what defenders can learn from Lionesses I can highly recommend this as an entertaining alternative to many of the other books out there about football. It makes a very refreshing change from football autobiographies that is for sure.

City fans might be especially interested in Chapter Two - How Slime Moulds Built Barcelona given that it focuses on how our new coach developed his style of play at the Catalan club. It may be early days and I have only seen one half of one game so far (having been away on holiday) but I am already looking at how our team is developing with a fresh perspective.

I highly recommend it

(IMG_20160818_103516.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20160818_103516.jpg (88KB - 32 downloads)
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
23 November 2016 05:11 Post ID: #587307 - in reply to #579572
Chief Forum Editor
They are developing, but as Pep says Barcelona have been doing their stuff for 25 years, whilst we are infants just crawling trying to stand up.

Can mathematics really explain football?
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: