Manchester City Forum - Johnny On The Spot - August Review
Vital Football

Latest Manchester City News

Welcome to the Man City Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: I changed my password everywhere to 'incorrect.' That way when I forget it, it always reminds me, 'Your password is incorrect.'
- (Added by: Tudor)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Your Favourite Goal From The Stuffing Of The Stretfords?
Suggested By: Shaun Gloater
Spanish Dave67%
The General33%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Johnny Baguette319
2.Skoorb180
3.Colin Is The King141
4.OziMan127
5.Buzz Lightyear111
6.Rising90
7.kennyclementstache84
8.BamaEngineer73
9.Bluedub47
10.johnkelv25
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Johnny On The Spot - August Review
05 September 2017 21:18 Post ID: #605160
Vital MC Hall Of Fame
Happy tedious International Break, Planet Blue!

It was the month that almost had it all. Some strange comings and goings on and off various parks, long journeys for our travelling army and City being on the receiving end yet again of domestic and European draw ready ups.

It was an odd few weeks all told. We not only saw some predictably unpredictable Pep Guardiola team selections but also some predictably unpredictable Premier League refereeing. I'll run the rule over Pep's approach towards the end of this review, but firstly, those refs. The men in the middle are already struggling to keep up the pace and quite frankly, aside of the justifiable frustration of many a Blue conspiracy theorist, it looks to me as if guess work has become a major part of an English referee's make up. Already in this fledgling season we have seen clear and present last defender dismissals denied and ludicrous sending offs for Kyle Walker and Raz Sterling. The former for body contact, the latter for celebrating a last minute goal up close with his fans. The sanitisation of the game is reaching ridiculous proportions, aided and abetted by bandwaggoning hacks and pundits whose moralising shrieks against anyone but their undisguised personal favourites is truly lamentable. I see no sign of this stopping any time soon unless technology is brought in. We've already seen in Europe how pathetic goal line liners are.

Some of the strangest activity last month revolved around Chile and hapless Arsenal's for not much longer Alexis Sanchez. Somebody, somewhere, most probably his agent, leaked the ball rolling months ago that City were in for the Tevez-ish forward but bizarrely, after a series of Arsehole Whinger denials, City bids didn't come in until the last day of a 1.4 billion pounds summer transfer window (which should certainly close at the end of July as it renders the actual football almost incidental). There than followed a three way ping-pong of activity that involved Monaco, City and the Ashburton Grove Bottling Factory (copyright The Pedmachine) over an agreed fee for wantCity Sanchez and Arsenal's desperate bid to secure Thomas Lemar. Operation Lemar duly failed and word reached Ashton New Road that the Sanchez deal was er, off. Cue a crestfallen Alexis and Guardiola kicking the family cat. Only himself and the City board know why Sanchez, if so key to our aspirations was not pursued earlier. This episode and an inexplicable and unseemly Tony Pulis publicly declared pursuit of West Brom's Jonny Evans served to tarnish what had been an excellent transfer window for City. Having brought in some shrewd acquistions, the Blues had registered a 133 million quid net spend having offloaded 93 million quid's worth of outgoing players. It will be interesting to see what Pep says at this week's Liverpool presser, but I would expect Sanchez to make his City debut in January.

Then there were the cup draws. What's all that about, then?! Yet again, 'moneybags City' found themselves delivered tricky assignments early in a campaign. The Carabao League Cup shenanigans pitted us again with Premier League away opposition in the shape of Johnny 'Effing' Evans's West Brom for starters. As for our next European adventures, it obviously could have been much worse because we have avoided the UEFA cartel clubs, but I think we have a tougher group than many might say. Every away fixture will provide stiff challenges and I see Napoli as bonafide contenders to win the group.

As City must continually do things the hard way, it doesn't help matters when the all of a sudden cash splurging once more Stretford Galacticos bag another fortuitous round of cup draws. Since Austerity Taggart stepped down the way has again been paved for the rags in all areas. As their playing fortunes have sagged to the tune of a barometer busting 3 league derby wins across 7 seasons, it's all been much of a coincidence with the FA and UEFA. The best the Europa League could throw at them last season was Stalybridge Celtic Vigo and an underwhelming Curzon Ajax. Their back door return to the Champions League could not have been kinder, either.

The contrast is startling. Domestically across 3 seasons including this one, and excluding Semi-Finals and Finals at Wembley, in 16 cup draws City have copped for 14 Premier League opponents and 12 away fixtures. United meanwhile have street partied through 17 draws to the tune of 5 top flight sides and a measly 6 away trips! Their league fixtures are rather favourable to boot!

The ongoing difference in our European fortunes needs no introduction, but it really is quite extraordinary. One wonders whether David Gill, Stretford board member, FA Vice Chairman and both a FIFA and UEFA Executive Committee member could shed any light on these happenings?

Group F: Shakhtar Donetsk, Manchester City, Napoli, Feyenoord

MCFC in Europe Squad

Goalkeepers

Claudio Bravo, Ederson, Aro Muric

Defenders

Danilo, Vincent Kompany, Eliaquim Mangala, Benjamin Mendy, Nicolas Otamendi, John Stones, Kyle Walker

Midfielders

Fabian Delph, Kevin De Bruyne, Fernandinho, Ilkay Gundogan, Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Yaya Toure

Forwards

Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus

And so to the footy. Hmm and then some. I suggest that throughout these opening exchanges the Blues have resembled a work in progress and for me, that shouldn't be the case. There's been the look of real venom about us sidewindering forward at pace but all too often we've come up toothless. The results have been too close for comfort and it's all been a bit Groundhog Day. A repeated score of shots with a handful on target belie a lack of directness and resemble the statistics that generated so much frustration in the last campaign.

I think Pep overly tinkers with his selections. Am I wrong in suggesting he should try sending out a settled side for a series of games and see where it takes us? Whatever strategy El Boss decides upon, we are embarked upon a run of matches that will see us lock horns with numerous top sides and we are going to find out an awful lot more about our revamped side and how much we have progressed. To their absolute credit, despite not quite finding their mojo yet, the Blues have shown battling qualities to realise the points secured thus far. This factor alone lends weight for much optimism. Once we click, and I am certain we will, someone will cop for a right pasting. I particularly like the look of Danilo and Blue Mendy.

Star Man in August Gabriel de Jesus. The kid has got something about him that screams all time great. His work off the ball is persistent and tireless. He makes things happen.

How Did Johnny Do?

The Foretelling

Brighton 0 City 4 W
Girona 0 City 3 W
City 2 Everton 1 W
Bournemouth 1 City 3 W

And Lo It Came To Pass…

Brighton 0 City 2 W
Girona 1 City 0 L
City 1 Everton 1 D
Bournemouth 1 City 2 W

Read more: http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=585009#...
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
06 September 2017 12:00 Post ID: #605171 - in reply to #605160
Commander in Chief
Excellent review JB
Like post
Like this post
07 September 2017 12:56 Post ID: #605198 - in reply to #605160
Vital MC Hall Of Fame
Good write up but a couple of points;

Whilst you are right in that old refereeing issues are already raising their heads neither Walker nor Sterling were sent off for body contact/inapropriate celebrating - they were booked for each demeanour. If neither had been previously booked then we wouldn't be discussing this.

And why the overt comparisons with what the rags are doing? - why are we still obsessed with them when we are clearly on the up and in the process of writing our own chapter(s) in the sports' history?

But lots I agree with too!

Like post
Like this post
07 September 2017 13:08 Post ID: #605199 - in reply to #605198
kennyclementstache - 7/9/2017 12:56

Good write up but a couple of points;

Whilst you are right in that old refereeing issues are already raising their heads neither Walker nor Sterling were sent off for body contact/inapropriate celebrating - they were booked for each demeanour. If neither had been previously booked then we wouldn't be discussing this.

And why the overt comparisons with what the rags are doing? - why are we still obsessed with them when we are clearly on the up and in the process of writing our own chapter(s) in the sports' history?

But lots I agree with too!

True what you say, however there was no demeanour on either of their second bookings, they were imagined by the officials.
Like post
Like this post
07 September 2017 17:25 Post ID: #605205 - in reply to #605160
Sterling's first yellow was petulant and silly. Arter made the most of it and took a dive but Sterling handed his chance to him on a plate.

Walker's first against Everton was also 'bought' by Baines - I looked at it several times and I'm not convinced there was contact. You could Walker put himself on offer by diving in but I am not sure that the threshold for what is bookable is a 'level playing field'. If it were Arter would have been sent off for his knee high challenge on Sterling not long before we scored the winner and Cook could have been booked or even sent off for his use of excessive force and endangering an opponent when he went right through Jesus by the corner flag. Different games, different referees but still an absence of consistency.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: