Manchester City Forum - Manchester City v Spurs - 5.30pm Sat 16th Dec - Premier League Match Preview and MDT
Vital Football

Latest Manchester City News

Welcome to the Man City Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: I have been putting a lot of thought into it, and I just don't think being an adult is going to work for me.
- (Added by: Tudor)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Should City Push For Sanchez?
Suggested By: Harry Godwin
Just Do It.7%
Walk Away Renee90%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Buzz Lightyear421
2.Johnny Baguette331
3.Skoorb305
4.Rising165
5.Colin Is The King135
6.OziMan119
7.BamaEngineer104
8.kennyclementstache78
9.Bluedub53
10.johnkelv47
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (8): « First 1
3 4 5 ... Last »
Manchester City v Spurs - 5.30pm Sat 16th Dec - Premier League Match Preview and MDT
15 December 2017 11:32 Post ID: #613519 - in reply to #613477
Been Around The Block
I thought you might want to see my view of the main event.. :-)

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7523945

When Money talks, fantasy Walks.

£634 million net v - £5 million; the difference in spend in the last 5 seasons...

It's hard not to be jealous over the disparity, but I harbour the team owned by one of the richest per capita countries in the World no ill will. Someone has to win the lottery, and it was their turn. Monetary spend of that power and magnitude in any sport or business makes a difference and I expect it to show against us too.

There is a difference between being admiringly envious and churlish. Churlish is claiming that selling them Walker was a smart piece of business because Trippier is better; those making these claims are clutching at straws. Thank God they don't scout players for a living.

One is an out and out wingback with incredible pace and powers of recovery, now coupled with tremendous timing and an improving end product, which combined can leave defenders for dead and the other is a Right back, that can't go past a standing steward without stopping and passing it sideways or backwards, what he can do is make long deep accurate deliveries; but don't expect him to keep step with anyone pacey or recover his position easily, because he can't.

Walker went from strength to strength under Poch and when we sold him he was close to, if not the best Right Wing back in Europe. Since then, from what I've seen and what my ManC loving friends tell me, he's got better game by game. That will be a huge bonus for England.

Whilst I cannot forgive him for his unprofessional conduct and the way he undermined the team the coach and allowed naked greed to undermine his character, it would be equally as churlish for me to suggest we haven't missed him. For those that thought Trippier was better, just ask yourself why we invested so much in Aurier, who sadly we simply won't see the best of until next season.

Rose isn't yet back to his best, so whether it's him or him and Davies as I expect who will need to curb his runs, they are going to have their hands full - as Spurs fans have goaded Walker on Social media, I fully expect him to repay them and us in spades.

Now to the game; the tally between all meetings between the clubs is close we've won 60 drawn 35 and lost 58. Recent meeting is what matters most and so far since Pep took over, Poch has come out on top City last won a league fixture at home against us in October 2014. We beat them 2-1 in February 2016 followed by a 2-2 draw last January we came back from 2-0 down when they really let us off the hook that day.

City go into this game in magnificent form and playing some of the best football I've ever witnessed in the Premier league, this season in all competitions they have had 25 game, won 22, drawn once when reduced to 10 men, drawn one against Wolves in the league Cup (that they then won on penalties (that was like a nursey school outing) and lost one game away to Shaktar Donetsk after fielding their B/C team - such are the depth of riches at their disposal.

We on the other hand have slipped, just as I said it would be, Wembley has proved a troublesome 'home' ground, team after team has upped their game and one by one the tactic by the visitors has been to frustrate. It won't surprise anyone that apart from perhaps one game against Liverpool our best play has been away from home.

I can only see a very tough game for us Rose, Winks, Dembele are all still trying to find their form after injuries, we will of course be without two of our best players of last season in Victor and Toby, and Sanchez has another game where he must sit in the stands. Dele has looked out of sorts and out of form and Harry is another still trying to find his deadly sharpness from last season after returning from injury.

Two recent wins, one emphatic the other less so has lifted spirits and Poch as always is taking a very positive approach to meeting the 'best team in the premier league' - an assessment I can't take exception to.

Poch normally likes to mix up his approach for the big games and I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again here; to me this looks all over a game where we will have to play or should as we did in the Champions league and play on the counter, with Trippers crosses I'd be tempted to start both Llorente and Kane because if City are vunerable anywhere it's at the back - they'll be missing Stones and Kompany who for my money are their best two CB's, we know what Walkers capable of and we also know that if pressured and harried he can make mistakes.

I just can't see us springing a surprise win here, we just are not at the peak that I think we would need to be to do that, our best hope is to use the counter to score by long diagonals or fast breaks because what I also do not expect us to be able to do is keep a clean sheet for this one.

I hope I am wrong, so in ending a draw would be a great result, a win simply is not on the cards for me - the gap between their spend and ours is vast and so eventually that chasm will tell as the respectice premier league standings affirms.

I'm going to speculate on our line-up; lloris, Trippier, Dier, Vert, Davies, Rose, Dembele, Winks, Eriksen, Llorente, Kane.

A match to relish, although I will be watching at home with everything crossed.

COYS!!

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7523945#ixzz51KR...

Edited by Spursex 15/12/2017 11:33
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
15 December 2017 11:59 Post ID: #613520 - in reply to #613519
Hi Ex, good to hear from you mate, hope you're well.

A good read, a bit pessimistic, understandably so but this is football and we all know just how unpredictable it can be.

One thing I want to take up with you from above, you've probably already guessed what it is, Kyle Walker. When you talk about greed, would that be a greed for success, for having something to show for your efforts when your career is over? You're surely not suggesting any individual shouldn't maximise his/her potential for earning what they can? Only a fool would turn down an opportunity like Walker had, increase your chances of winning something and get a much higher wage for doing so, it's a no brainer.
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:26 Post ID: #613521 - in reply to #613520
Been Around The Block
Hi Bludub, I'm good - hope you're well too..

Right pleasantries over :-)

Kyle Walker - I have no issue any player deciding that he needs to progress his career elsewhere; but I am in the invidious position of knowing that he was tapped up shortly after signing his new deal with us and all the guff he said with it - which as with any player and because of my agent connections I take with and took with a pinch of salt.

I made everyone aware in February that Walker was a done deal, as I heard through agents what he'd agreed to and how the approach had developed - few believed me, but I knew I was right.

My beef with him was the manner of his un-professionalism - good pro's even after having been tapped up and made their decision will 99% of the time keep it to themselves and continue to be a good pro - he did neither, he undermined the team and poch at a critical time for us by declaring he had no intention of staying and wanted to 'return up 'norf' after no so long ago saying he loved London and wanted to spend his career there - but that's water off a ducks back, it was shortly after that news of his shoddy behaviour began to reach me ; late for sessions, giving up on drills, basically being unprofessional and bit of an all right billy-big bollocks of a dick.

In short, he let the ,money go to his head, telling anyone and everyone he could that he would be earning 3 x what he was before...

Most pro's that I know think behaviour like that, undermining the club you are with, unsettling the team and your team mates when you still had plenty of the season to play out is just simply unprofessional and immature - so although I was one of Walkers strongest advocates as he was developing with us, I can't just simply applaud his progression as he has become everything that I detest in modern pros'

:-)
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:32 Post ID: #613522 - in reply to #613477
Been Around The Block
As for our prospects against you in this game - I am realistically pessimistic - we just aren't playing with the same intensity and Harry just isn't as clinical as he was after his recent injury - and when he and we are like that, we tend to struggle.

But most of all, I think this is almost a meaningless game in as much as the PL title is concerned. I think you are home and hosed and it is all over bar he shouting (you really are now the best team I've seen in the PL!) - we on the other hand will be left fighting and scraping for a 4th place finish...
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:34 Post ID: #613523 - in reply to #613521
So it's not his 'greed' you have a problem with at all, rather it's his unprofessionalism.

I'm not doubting the claims you make as I know you have decent contacts, I do find it strange however that Pochetinno persisted with playing him despite all the things you listed he was guilty of.
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:38 Post ID: #613524 - in reply to #613520
Chief Forum Editor
great read S. anything can happen in Football or we would all be millionaires and bookies would go bankrupt, which will never happen.

I set the parallel of Trippier (former City Youth) with Raheem Sterling, who having left Liverpool, it was reported there that Jordan Ibe was better and the new improved RS7.

As for the money yes we hit the jackpot of all jackpots and yes we are owned by a very rich man in HRH Sheikh Mansour, but his terms of reference were to make the Club self sustaining and for the last 2 years City have returned a profit.

I see a close game, (have you always regarded a draw at City as a good result), I have when we played them at the Lane, the question is will Poch go defensive or got for it?
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:46 Post ID: #613525 - in reply to #613523
Been Around The Block
Bluedub - 15/12/2017 12:34

So it's not his 'greed' you have a problem with at all, rather it's his unprofessionalism.

I'm not doubting the claims you make as I know you have decent contacts, I do find it strange however that Pochetinno persisted with playing him despite all the things you listed he was guilty of.

Poch, really didn't - look back, he started dropping/rotating him...believe me, that was for a reason - the 'greed' is what spured his un-professionalism - I can't relate here one comment he was heard to make in company of friends of mine - but as people who have 'new' money often are, they think they're being big, but in fact they just make arses of themselves.

I think he let his personal standards of behaviour drop (which he has done previously), he's not the brightest bloke and every so often that shows, but good luck to him now.
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:50 Post ID: #613526 - in reply to #613524
Been Around The Block
Buzz Lightyear - 15/12/2017 12:38

great read S. anything can happen in Football or we would all be millionaires and bookies would go bankrupt, which will never happen.

I set the parallel of Trippier (former City Youth) with Raheem Sterling, who having left Liverpool, it was reported there that Jordan Ibe was better and the new improved RS7.

As for the money yes we hit the jackpot of all jackpots and yes we are owned by a very rich man in HRH Sheikh Mansour, but his terms of reference were to make the Club self sustaining and for the last 2 years City have returned a profit.

I see a close game, (have you always regarded a draw at City as a good result), I have when we played them at the Lane, the question is will Poch go defensive or got for it?

Buzz,

for the record - I read his plans for the club very early on - and for me that marked him out as a true long-term 'investor' in the area and for that he gained and holds my respect.

ok, there have been some questionable commercial deals - but overall, I think the progress he is and will bring to the area is absolutely first class.

As for us, until we get into our new stadium, revenue wise we simply can't even come close - but in due course the new stadium should make a big dent in that revenue gap.

Poch, by nature is a positive coach - he will try and go for it - but I think we'll try and do it on the counter not by our normal pressing/possession high back line approach - if we do go for our normal very high line, you'll murder us.
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:52 Post ID: #613527 - in reply to #613477
February you say you knew, I assume Poch knew too, he started half your league games from the beginning of March until the end of the season. If I were Poch, I'd have frozen him out completely if he was carrying on like that.
Like post
Like this post
15 December 2017 12:56 Post ID: #613528 - in reply to #613527
Been Around The Block
Bluedub - 15/12/2017 12:52

February you say you knew, I assume Poch knew too, he started half your league games from the beginning of March until the end of the season. If I were Poch, I'd have frozen him out completely if he was carrying on like that.

I believe, naively, that Poch thought he could straighten him out - I simply don't think he grasped that mentally he had already left and believed that he would stay focused, so I think Poch learned a lesson.

Like you, I would have frozen him out too - but the counter to that is that when he wanted to, he could still have a massive impact and some still believed that the chav's would trip up/stall...
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 07:28 Post ID: #613543 - in reply to #613477
Hi Spursex, good to hear from you. I hope we are in for a good game today :-)

You started your original post with the a standard allusion to money but my question is this.........with the same players availableto him do you think Pochettino could have delivered the same outcomes (results, points, standard of football)?
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 07:38 Post ID: #613546 - in reply to #613477
City squad

Goalkeepers: 1. Claudio Bravo, 31. Ederson Moraes

Defenders: 2. Kyle Walker, 3. Danilo Luiz, 15. Eliaquim Mangala, 18. Fabian Delph, 24. Tosin Adrabioyo, 30. Nicolas Otamendi, 35. Oleksandr Zinchenko

Midfielders: 8. Ilkay Gundogan, 17. Kevin De Bruyne, 20. Bernardo Silva, 21. David Silva, 25. Fernandinho, 42. Yaya Touré, 47. Phil Foden

Forwards: 7. Raheem Sterling, 10. Sergio Agüero, 19. Leroy Sané, 33. Gabriel Jesus, 55. Brahim Díaz
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 08:14 Post ID: #613550 - in reply to #613477
Vital MC Hall Of Fame
Good to see you in and commenting as to how you see things Spursex.
I hope we all witness a good game with no ill feeling.
Good luck to you.
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 09:29 Post ID: #613555 - in reply to #613477
Commander in Chief
all we ask for is a good clean match and may the better team come out on top.
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 11:16 Post ID: #613558 - in reply to #613555
johnkelv - 16/12/2017 09:29

all we ask for is a good clean match and may the better team come out on top.

That hasn't happened the last two times we played them at home, let's hope third time's a charm.
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 11:25 Post ID: #613559 - in reply to #613477
I expect Mr Alli to be on the wind up. He usually is.
Like post
Like this post
16 December 2017 11:50 Post ID: #613560 - in reply to #613559
Vital MC Bronze Award

I wonder if Poch will play him. He's gone off the boil lately. (Alli, not Poch).

Like post
Like this post
Pages (8): « First 1
3 4 5 ... Last »
Jump to forum:
Manchester City Fixtures  >>